New Guitar Day, On The Way

Well, my addiction continues.

You are probably not aware, but last year, in 2011, I purchased three guitars: Agile AL-2000 in honey sunburst flame, SX Furrian in vintage white, and a used Fender Standard Jazz Bass in 3-tone sunburst.

Earlier this year, I blew my entire hobby budget for 2012 on a MIM Fender Standard Stratocaster in arctic white. I agreed that I would not purchase any more guitars during 2012.

Well, I made a liar out of me.

I just ordered a Squier Cyclone. I really wanted the Lake Placid blue, but it is on perpetual extended backorder. Candy apple red is really not my thing, and the idea of 3-tone sunburst at this price point scares me. I went with the ever-popular black… hah!

Squier Cyclone - Black

The Cyclone is a Musician’s Friend exclusive, but they still gave me a great price. These normally sell for $199.99. The best price I’ve ever seen was on Black Friday– $153. They put the sunburst and black ones on sale for $155.99. I called to see if I could backorder a Lake Placid blue one at that price, but they wouldn’t do it.

They ended up offering me another 5% off, bringing it to below the Black Friday price, 7 months ago. For $148.19 delivered, I couldn’t pass it up.

Believe it or not, I own something like 11 stringed instruments, and none of them are black. Lake Placid blue would have been nice, but I’m not sure I would like it. My 93 American Standard Strat is “Caribbean mist”– a metallic green teal. I’ve had it for almost 20 years, and I’m still not sure if I like it.

I am looking forward to having a black guitar, and I will post a review after it arrives. Thanks for reading!

Step-and-Swell Enclosure

I’m going to start this site off with a project I’ve been putting together. I call it the Step-and-Swell. I’ll have full details, including a schematic, once I get it all boxed up. For now, here is the enclosure:

I am really starting to like the results I am getting on my enclosures.

I etched this one in a 1:1 mix of 34.15% hydrochloric acid and 10% peroxide, which I made by diluting one part 40% peroxide with 3 parts water. The paint is Testors Enamel, which I apply with small brushes and then bake. I wet sand the the top with 1200 grit, and then polish.

I am still experimenting with polishing. So far I have tried rubbing compound (like on this one), but I think it is too harsh to get a really nice shine. I plan on getting some car polish to try and bring a better shine to the letters. I do really like the way the enamel looks, though.

Anyway, for this design, I was going for an old-timey kind of look, kind of like an old fire alarm. I think it came out pretty nice.

The actual circuit is built and ready to go. It’s basically the audio path similar to the Tremulus Lune, mixed with R.G. Keen’s L.E.R.A.. The L.E.R.A. controls the current to the LED side of a homemade photocell. It works pretty good, but I have some ideas for improvement.

More to come!